Celebrating Kwanzaa 2.0



In honor of the 50th Anniversary of Kwanzaa, I offer my thoughts on how it has inspired me over the past few years. I love how this seven-day observance has helped to instill cultural pride, knowledge, and build community for Americans of African descent. 

My approach to this period, however, is colored (no pun intended) by my awareness of myself not just having an experience as a person of color. I know I am a spiritual being having a human experience. I now approach Kwanzaa with an awareness of Oneness of all, and a rich cultural history in my DNA and beyond through past lives and experiences. Therefore, I have taken Kwanzaa to the next level—2.0—for all who are interested in using the lessons of this period to heal and expand. Below I will share Kwanzaa inspirations from the past, from my Mind, Body & Soul Food Facebook page, as well as the 2.0 versions that spoke to me and I shared on my personal Facebook wall for the Kwanzaa ending on New Year’s Day 2017.

2012-2013
Mind, body & soul food to ponder on Kwanzaa Day 1: How have you been putting the principle of Umoja, or unity, into practice in your life?

2016-2017
Habari gani? Now more than ever, we need to answer this call for unity with more than replying "Umoja!" Our actions need to reflect this as well. My response: I will unite with Spirit through my prayer and meditation call. I will unite with my spiritual community to raise our individual and the collective vibration. I will unite with my family to strengthen our bond through the first day of Kwanzaa observance. And more..."United we stand, divided we fall."

2012-2013
Mind, body & soul food to chew on for Kwanzaa Day 2: Just because you cannot pronounce Kujichagulia, doesn't mean you can't practice self-determination. How are you defining yourself, naming yourself, creating for yourself, and speaking for yourself?

2016-2017
Habari gani? This year I've spent a lot of time working with this principle of Kujichagulia in a deeper way. Combatting group think, shedding labels, allowing the light within me to express itself uniquely as me, seeing beyond my earthly identity and seeing my highest self--the extension and reflection of God. So for me, I claim my Divine identity--Tonya of God.

2012-2013
Kwanzaa principle for Day 3, Ujima, reminds us to work together to make our communities better--our brothers' and sisters' problems are indeed our problems--or opportunities to serve. Are you hearing the call to service? Are you listening? A taste of mind, body & soul food to take you into the holiday weekend...

2016-2017
Habari gani? Ujima reminds us that no man or woman is an island. If we continue to go the path alone, we may not get very far. Ask those spearheading the Black Lives Matter movement. Ask those braving wintry temps at Standing Rock. I saw it first hand with this fall's 1000 Goddesses Gathering in DC. The more I progress in life, the more I seek to live and work in collective communities. An African proverb states "When spider webs unite, they can bind up a lion." What are you doing with your spidey senses and skills?

2012-2013
The Kwanzaa principle for Day 4 is Ujamaa, which means cooperative economics. It calls for us to build and maintain our own stores, shops, and other businesses, and to profit from them TOGETHER. As the Ethiopian proverb goes, "when spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion." Are you spinning your web alone, or connecting with other arachnids of abundance to capture your lion share of blessings?

2016-2017
Habari gani? Ujamaa calls for us to stretch out of our comfort zone and take our economics to a higher level. Some questions to ponder...With whom do we share our currency? Do we help the rich grow richer? Do we patronize the big box stores with poor employee satisfaction that come in and close down mom-and-pop local businesses? Do we insist on wearing labels of those who do nothing for our community, exploit child and low-wage labor in foreign countries, and whose stores discriminate against us when we walk in the door? Do we buy and eat "fast" and "convenient" food from those who put us on the fast track to obesity, heart disease, diabetes, strokes, and cancer? Did we support small businesses with our holiday gift-giving? Have we started our own businesses? Are we throwing money at banks that have their own interests at heart? Have we explored family investment efforts? Have we shared back generously with those in need? If we don't sit well with our answers to these questions, it may be time to stand up and make a change!

2012-2013
The Kwanzaa Day 5 principle is Nia, or Purpose. It means to see our collective vocation as the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness. Let's also apply this individually and ask--how will I build and develop MYSELF and restore MYSELF--mind, body, and soul--to wholeness?

2016-2017
Habari gani? Nia, or purpose, seems to be on everyone's mind lately. No longer can we keep meandering through life. We are collectively hearing the call to follow the path of purpose. I find it most helpful to know from where we came before we start traveling to where we need to go. Contrary to what the media will feed us, for Americans of African descent, our history did not start with slavery. We descended from great kings and queens, mathematicians and teachers, artists and engineers. With this truth in mind, consider these questions: Where is your path leading you? Who are your traveling companions? Are you pausing to help others along the way? What tools do you need for the road? How do you keep fueled for the journey?

2012-2013
It's Day 6 of Kwanzaa, focusing on the principle Kuumba, or creativity. This means to do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it. I invite you to ask yourself, "What am I doing to create beauty and benefit in my world?" If you aren't satisfied with your answer, it's time to try something new. Mind, body & soul food to munch on today...

2016-2017
Habari gani? Kuumba speaks to creativity. Let's be...well--creative--and think outside the box on creativity. Our writers, painters, sculptors, dancers and other artists aren't the only ones who tap into this powerful Sacral Chakra energy to create beauty and benefit. How are we daily using creation energy to do Maat--"reaffirming and restoring truth, justice and righteousness, harmony, balance, order, rightness, etc." Let's look within--ourselves, our families, our communities, our various institutions, our country, our world--including our physical earth.

2012-2013
Happy New Year! It is fitting to start the year with the final day of Kwanzaa, celebrating the principle, Imani, or faith. Why not make a commitment today to believe with all our heart in our people, our parents, our teachers, our leaders, and the righteousness and VICTORY of our struggle? I claim it, and so it is! Delicious, sustainable mind, body & soul food to start feeding you in 2013!

2016-2017
Habari gani? Imani, which is faith.
I have faith in our Creator--Mother and Father--much bigger to me in concept than a single gender or religion can encompass.
I have faith in myself--a unique embodiment of our Creator--not separate from, but part of.
I have faith in you--that you will remember who you are and whose you are, and will allow your being and doing to fall in alignment with that knowing.
I have faith in us--that we will unite, empowered with self-determination, to work collectively and support each other economically to fully step into our purpose, tapping into our creative energy to make our world a better place.

Happy Kwanzaa, Happy New Year...all day, every day!
If you are interested in mind, body and spirit events in and near Laurel, MD, as well as other sacred events, go to http://www.meetup.com/Laurel-Mind-Body-Soul-Food-Meetup/ and http://www.sacredsojourns.space.  To listen to my podcast, Mind, Body & Soul Food, visit www.blogtalkradio.com/tonyaparker. Purchase a Kindle or audio version of Diary of a Witch’s Daughter, my young adult novel with holistic and metaphysical themes at http://tinyurl.com/diaryofawitchsdaughteronamazon. Print version is coming soon!

Comments

  1. I love it. I was part of a Kwanzaa show this 2019 year December. You have amazing ideas

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts