Massage Etiquette 101

I have provided seated massage in many different situations and locations over the past seventeen or so years. I’ve been at racing events, benefits fairs, college campuses, festivals, senate buildings, 7-11 grand openings, church functions, family and high school reunions, pamper parties, bridal showers, and more. I am regularly scheduled multiple times a month at two different corporate sites. I would say that I have mastered this modality, and that lends credibility to what I’m sharing with you today.

Recently I took a team of fellow massage therapists to a gig on a military base for an annual Wellness event. I have provided seated massage for this event for the past five or six years, so I thought all would be routine. Was I wrong! I spent the first part of the four-hour event breathing deeply to release my annoyance. Very deeply. Then…something happened. I’ll call her Grace. She came in, gently took over me, and I was able to view circumstances through a new set of eyes. Everything that had annoyed me suddenly amused me, instead. I could see the ridiculousness and humor in every situation, and it kept a smile on my face for the rest of the day. I’m sure my clients appreciated it—I know I did.

Inspired by my recent experience as well as other experiences I’ve had over the years, I decided to provide these tips of etiquette to those of you who may decide to visit a massage therapist or take advantage of one who happens to be at a special event. After all, why not say “yes” to a relaxing experience that could also alleviate pain, increase range of motion, calm the central nervous system, boost immunity, increase productivity, improve sleep, and more. However, there are some simple things you can do to help us make our job easier and more enjoyable, and help you receive the resulting positive effects. You may notice that these instructions sound familiar; after all, you most likely have used the same ones with your children. Yep, enough said about that…

1.      Show up as scheduled. Honor my time, and yours. We have carved out time to take care of you, and possibly had to say no to someone or something else. If you are late, we should not have to hunt you down. In group massage settings, it can also be disruptive to enter the room late while others are trying to get their bliss on. Seated massage is fairly brief, anyway, and if you’re late, we are truly limited in what we can do for you.
2.      Use your indoor voice. Massage can be very meditative, and many folks quickly fall asleep. Of course, the therapist must remain awake, but we enjoy the peace—it’s a perk of the job. So in a group setting, entering the room and loudly commenting, speaking to everyone, asking lots of questions, and trying to bond with chit chat can be disruptive to the tranquility of the others who are present.
3.      Actually, stop talking. Just enjoy the experience. And, just in case you didn’t you know, your body, and Spirit, speak to me while I’m massaging, and I need to focus.
4.      Turn off the electronics. There’s a time and place for cell phones, tablets, and other smart devices, but a massage session is not one of them. I suggest turning all sound and alerts off at the least; even better, turn off the device altogether. Allow yourself to be in the present moment without distraction.
5.      Watch your hygiene. Massage is an up close and personal interaction. We therapists go beyond “normal” spatial boundaries. We see, hear, touch, and smell more than many doctors do. And we do it for a prolonged period of time, usually in a confined space. It can be uncomfortable at the least, and tortuous at the worst, when poor hygiene rears its ugly head. A shower, deodorant, toothpaste, and clean clothing make a world of difference.
6.      Keep your hands to yourself. Now this may seem obvious, if you’re thinking of a 1 on 1 massage session. Licensed and certified professionals would like you to be happy at the beginning, middle, and end, but we are not in the business of providing “happy endings.” Our hands will move to appropriate places, and yours should, as well. Now, in the event you’re experiencing seated massage in a group setting, keeping your hands to yourself takes on a different meaning. it’s not cute or funny for you to walk over to a friend or colleague and disrupt their healing by “helping” the therapist, invading someone else’s boundaries without permission, and once again, possibly disrupting their peace.
7.      Trust the expert. Massage therapists go to school for a considerable amount of time, learn anatomy and physiology, various types of massage and healing modalities, and have to pass various tests to be in a position to serve you. We are subject matter experts. Therefore, when you tell us that a particular area needs help, trust us to know the connections in your body which guide us to not just work that area, but other spots that could be contributing to the discomfort in the stated area. That may mean the opposite side or a different part of your body altogether.
8.      Don’t ask for seconds if none are available. To break it down further, don’t be greedy. If your employer or a third party paid for us to see as many people as possible, your signing up more than once, or trying to make the rounds of more than one therapist is not cool. In fact, if you liked us so much, take a card, and follow up with one of us privately at a later date.

I hope you find this massage etiquette helpful. Trust me, if you follow it, your massage experience, whether private or in a group setting, will be much more enjoyable…and so will that of my colleagues and me!

To find out about my holistic offerings, visit my website at www.mindbodyandspiritworks.com. To check out my Self-Care Saturday Series and other holistic events, go to http://www.meetup.com/Laurel-Mind-Body-Soul-Food-Meetup/.  To listen to my podcast, Mind, Body & Soul Food, visit www.blogtalkradio.com/tonyaparker. Purchase a Kindle or audio version of Diary of a Witch’s Daughter, my young adult novel with holistic and metaphysical themes at http://tinyurl.com/diaryofawitchsdaughteronamazon.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts